For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Home is Where the Central Cardio-pulmonary Organ Is, and see what else has been going on.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Link dump

Still having a rough time, health wise. Cold is mostly gone, but the coughing fits are still a problem. Don't trust myself to drive, actually. Last thing I need is to be behind the wheel when one of them hits. :-P

So, in lieu of posting, may I direct your attention to these interesting stories, most courtesy of Tom Nelson.

Enjoy.

The Chilling Costs of Climate Catastrophism

The Marxist Roots of the Global Warming Scare

Global Warming? No.

The Making of a Climate Skeptic

A Big Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Study: Trees twice as large in cities, stunted in rural areas

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:53 AM

    "The Marxist Roots of the Global Warming Scare"? I could find no trace of the Register article supposedly by Natalie Grant which Vernon's piece refers to. Googling "Natalie Grant" "The Register" Gorbachev turns up nothing but regurgitations of Vernon's article. What's going on?

    -- bi, International Journal of Inactivism

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Register's online archive only goes back to August 1998. I would guess Vernon has access to a hard copy of an earlier edition.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/1998/

    In The Register Article, Vernon writes that Grant identified GCI as an NGO founded by Gorbachev, which is verified here.

    http://www.globalgreen.org/about/gci.html

    As for the Marxism/Communist connection with today's environmentalism, there's no shortage of similar claims. A search brought up 20,100 results, including these at the top:

    One

    Two

    Three

    Four

    Five

    Just for a start.

    HTH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:59 PM

    "I would guess Vernon has access to a hard copy of an earlier edition."

    Turns out he didn't, because I just found a letter on the Washington Post which refers to Grant's quote as coming from a publication called The Resister.

    * * *

    "Vernon writes that Grant identified GCI as an NGO founded by Gorbachev"

    True, but Gorbachev also proposed holding elections... so does that mean elections are a communist plot too?

    * * *

    "there's no shortage of similar claims."

    Well, people "claim" all sorts of things.

    Whatever happened to skepticism and fact-checking? I didn't know the word "skeptic" in "global warming skeptic" refers to mindless regurgitation.

    -- bi, International Journal of Inactivism

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...refers to Grant's quote as coming from a publication called The Resister."

    I can't find any publication by that name. Perhaps it's a typo?

    "True, but Gorbachev also proposed holding elections... so does that mean elections are a communist plot too?
    "


    Uhm... no, it just means that Gorbachev was the founder. Simply verification.

    "I didn't know the word "skeptic" in "global warming skeptic" refers to mindless regurgitation."

    Perhaps you don't understand the concept of a link dump. I simply posted links to stories, sans personal commentary, that caught my attention. People are free to read them and come to their own conclusions. Or ignore them. Each to their own. I didn't think that was such a novel concept.

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line...