For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Home is Where the Central Cardio-pulmonary Organ Is, and see what else has been going on.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

It's that time of year again...

Around the world today, people are once again celebrating Lenin's birthday by taking part in Earth Hour. As I write this, a number of countries have already taken part, turning off their lights and whatnot. Locally, there are events planned, put on by the city, that involve a bonfire and giving away free hot chocolate, face painting and live performances.

Whatever makes people feel better, I suppose. I just wish my taxes weren't being used to pay for it.

Personally, I prefer the slightly tongue in cheek Human Achievement Hour. I would much rather celebrate and be thankful for the great things humans have done to make life better, safer, longer, healthier, and just plan more enjoyable for millions of people around the world.

By the time the hour rolls around in our time zone, I expect the family and I will have just finished a late supper, and will most likely be sitting in the living room, enjoying a movie together, while I crochet a holder for our plastic grocery bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line...