For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Home is Where the Central Cardio-pulmonary Organ Is, and see what else has been going on.

Monday, August 16, 2010

A bit of a change

I find it hard to believe I've been writing this blog for over 5 years.  So much has changed, yet it doesn't feel like I've been blogging that long!

Still, the focus of my writing has changed quite a bit.  I'm not writing quite as much about day to day activities and more about my thoughts on things much farther afield.  While I'm still moving on in a figurative sense, and hope I always will be, it's not what I'm writing about quite so much anymore.

As I thought of the things I've been writing about, trying to define more or less what my blog is about these days, the thought of heresy same to mind.  When the word first came about, it was defined from a religious point of view.  Especially when it came to Roman Catholicism.  Heretics were the ones who questioned Church dogma. 

These days, questioning religion - or more specifically, Christianity - is de riguer.  In fact, there are so many former heresies in our modern world that are now status quo that holding a differing opinion is now the heresy.

One of the new religions is secular humanism, and the modern heretic is the one that doesn't scoff at the belief in a Deity.  The new dogma is anti-capitalism, while the modern heretic acknowledges that capitalism and free enterprise has lifted more people out of poverty and despair than any other system.  Environmentalism has become a new religion as well, and to suggest that modern environmentalism might actually be doing more harm to the natural world than good is a modern heresy.  The modern heretic is the "conservative."  The modern heretic questions anthropogenic global warming.  The modern heretic doesn't think humans are a virus or a plague that should be destroyed to protect Gaia.  The modern heretic hears the "progressives" talk, then questions how they came to those conclusions, rather than just falling into line and doing what they want.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I am a modern heretic...

... and I kinda like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line...